Pieris Pharmaceuticals (Nasdaq: PIRS) is a publicly-traded, clinical-stage biotechnology company with operations in Germany and the United States. Pieris specializes in the discovery and development of Anticalin® protein-based drugs to target validated disease pathways in a unique and transformative way. Our pipeline includes inhalable Anticalin proteins to treat respiratory diseases, immuno-oncology multi-specifics tailored for the tumor microenvironment, and a half-life-optimized Anticalin protein to treat anemia. Proprietary to Pieris, Anticalin proteins are a novel class of therapeutics validated in the clinic and by partnerships with leading pharmaceutical companies.
To strengthen our team, we are looking for an experienced:
Corporate Counsel (m/f/d)The Corporate Counsel will be responsible for a range of legal matters with a focus on corporate transactions and compliance activities at Pieris Pharmaceuticals’ research hub in the Munich, Germany area. Reporting to the General Counsel based in the United States, the Corporate Counsel will be the lead legal representative at Pieris’ research hub and will have frequent interactions with internal clients across multiple R&D programs and functional groups, including business development, finance and human resources.
- Negotiate a broad range of agreements of varying complexity, including confidentiality, consulting, master services, clinical trial, manufacturing, and material transfer agreements.
- Provide pragmatic advice to business functions and management team regarding new transactions and existing agreements.
- Ensure effective contract lifecycle management, including drafting, negotiating, and coordinating execution and storage of company agreements.
- Serve as a partner to the business development team for the negotiation and execution of complex services agreements and licenses (e.g., cell line licenses, contract manufacturing agreements) and assist the General Counsel in the negotiation and execution of complex license and collaboration agreement (in- and out- licensing of programs and intellectual property, including co-development, co-commercialization and profit-sharing structures).
- Ensure policies and practices in compliance with relevant labor and employment laws in collaboration with outside counsel and human resources department.
- Ensure policies and practices in compliance with relevant German corporate laws, including annual and periodic corporate filings and corporate governance activities.
- Ensure policies and practices in compliance with privacy law and regulations, including the GDPR, in collaboration with outside counsel.
- Manage disagreements and potential disputes and dispute resolution relating to transactions, especially with suppliers, contract manufacturers.
- Identify changes in applicable laws, rules, regulations, standards, and as well as related trends relevant to the company.
- Outstanding academic qualifications, including a law degree at a leading university and active license to practice law in Germany.
- At least three to five years’ post-qualification legal experience with some international law firm experience.
- Excellent German and English language skills including the ability to draft and negotiate contracts in both languages.
- Strong transactional background dealing with a range of commercial contracts (confidentiality agreements, consulting agreements, material transfer agreements, master services agreements, manufacturing agreements), experience in clinical trial agreements and activities preferred.
- High degree of independence, initiative and decisiveness but also desire to be challenged and think outside the box.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to act as business partner to senior management.
- Outstanding business and legal judgment, especially in ambiguous situations.
- Ability to prioritize in a fast-moving environment.
- Experience working with pharmaceutical and biotechnology clients (either in-house experience at a biopharmaceutical company or law firm experience serving life sciences’ clients).
- Excellent teamwork, communication and cross-cultural skills, as well as a customer and solution-oriented mentality.
We are a fast-growing biotechnology company with approximately 120 employees at our sites in Freising (Greater Munich Area) and Boston (USA). We work in flat hierarchies with short decision-making paths and offer a working environment characterized by cooperation and innovation. Each of our employees participates in a bonus program based on the achievement of individual and company-wide goals. In addition, we offer each employee the opportunity to participate in a stock savings plan and a stock option program that allows employees to benefit directly from the company's success.
Numerous social benefits such as additional employer-financed company health insurance, free drinks, fruit baskets etc. as well as a bright, friendly and ultra-modern working environment with excellent technical equipment in our new company building in Hallbergmoos (from January 2020) round off our overall package. Creative employee events take place several times a year, as team spirit is essential for us. The joint creation of an innovative and participative corporate culture is an important concern for us.